Saturday 30 March 2013

10 Things: Publication

Using all of our previous knowledge on grids and layout, were asked to create a publication to advise people about graphic design. The key element of this publication was to make use of a variety of interesting and unique layouts. By doing this, the content becomes more engaging for the reader. I began by drawing thumbnails of different potential layout for text and image based double page spreads. As I was unsure about which layout I thought would be most appropriate, this helped me to visualise one layout against another. 

Once happy with a few different layouts, I began applying these to my publication contents. Initially I began with a basic contents page as shown below. I thought it was not necessary to make this too complex as its main function is to be clear and easily readable.

Experimentation of Contents Page

As we have covered a wide range of colour theory during our first year of Graphic Design, I wanted to include as much of the basics as possible. In terms of layout, I experimented with using the colour wheel to replace the o's of the main title. I also considered using the primary colours in a ring around the title to add emphasis to the subject.

1. Colour Theory


However I felt that these two ideas combined seemed to cancel each other out. I decided to keep the type all black.

My third experiment with the colour theory title was to place the whole text on top of a colour wheel so the O was forming its own mini colour wheel. This greatly reduced the amount of readability however so was not paractical. 

My final idea was to shrink the title down to 50pt. The content was to then be placed in an ideal layout across the double page spread. I experimented with using different alignments and shapes such as cicles to again emphasise the reference to a colour wheel.  



2. Scale
With the double page spread about scale, my main idea was to show a visual representation of scale using type. I did this by including an extra-large title. The large 'C' has also got 'scale' written in extra small type within the gap. I used a similar layout structure as the colour theory to keep my publication partially consistent.

Using placeholder text, I was able to get a rough idea of how my pages would look. I also experimented with adding images as examples of my 10 things.

3. Typography

For the typography pages I wanted to show a few examples of different typefaces. Similarly to the scale pages, I thought the main title would be the most appropriate for this. Each letter of the word TYPOGRAPHY is displayed at the same point size but each in a different font. I chose the fonts based on weight, hight, serif and sans serif.


4. Software
The main software I focused on were the main ones we have needed as BA Graphic Design First Years. I wanted to keep these pages simple and clear as the software itself can sometimes seem overwhelming to new users.


5. Terminology
I used a 4 by 2 grid layout for the terminology. Again i wanted this to be as clear as possible.


6. Grids&Layout
The Grids and Layout pages use a more experimental layout. I placed some of the text upside down and showed a broader range of type point sizes. There is a combination of both type and image used.




Scale Continued
Based on the style of the main Scale title, I experimented further with the contrast of extra large and extra small type place next to one another. Below are examples of this when focusing on Points Per Inch and Point Size.



Documentation of the development process of my publication in InDesign:

7. Rule of Three
For these pages I wanted to convey the importance of rule of three in Graphic design. My main methods of doing this were through colour and type. The two work together to form a subtle yet playful visual representation.

8. Type Characteristics
Similarly to the previous typography pages, I waned to show a more detailed comparison of type characteristics. These pages show clear differences between certain typefaces. I have chosen type which I feel best visually represents each characteristic. The page to the right is to then focus on 'handglovery' - the anatomy of type. 

9. Semiotics
Semiotics focuses on the theree S's: Sign, Symbol and Signifier. Therefore i wanted to add emphasis to the S's in the main title. The three S's are then defined in a 3 by 3 grid layout. 

Front&Back Cover

Contents page Revised

The Final Publication pdf:

No comments:

Post a Comment