Wednesday 20 November 2013

OUGD504: Design For Print Development

Following further research into my previous idea of creating a pop-up book, I came to the conclusion this was unrealistic as I would not be able to finish this to a professional standard in the time we had until the module deadline. I began thinking of new ways to present similar ideas in a more simplistic format. I wanted to ensure my publication was still as interactive as possible. I thought the interactive element was essential in conveying my concept effectively. By creating an interactive concept, I am hoping to engage readers in an innovative and unique manner. 

The target audience will be Graphic Design students with a keen interest for discovering and experimenting with new print processes. This will help me to narrow down my research towards processes more specifically relevant to Graphic Design. Therefore the Primary audience will be Graphic Design students. The Secondary audience will be art Students outside Graphic Design, who also have an interest in these print processes. Also tutors who will be providing their students with these manuals in Universities as an information source/guide.

The manual will be robust in order to be used in environments where it could potentially exposed to damage. The reason for this is so that users feel comfortable taking the manual to a print room for example, as opposed to reading it beforehand and trying to memorise each process. By taking the manual to various print areas, there is a chance it may become slightly damaged or dirty, but this will essentially add to the character and individuality of each publication.

I began brainstorming different ideas for the front cover of my publication/manual. As I wanted to create a robust and stable book, I thought it was essential to create a protective, hardback cover. The main materials I considered were acrylic plastic or possible wood. I then began thinking about different lasercutting methods to cut out/into the front cover as the manual title. I decided to keep the title simple and to the point, and therefore just remained with the title 'Design for Print'. This could always be changed later on, but it was appropriate to get an idea of how I wanted to layout the front cover.


During the early idea generation of my publication, I looked into the different materials in the Woodwork area of the University. This gave me the chance to see first-hand how thick, strong and reliable each material would be. I decided that the acrylic plastic was the most ideal for my manual. The plastic would be robust, easy to clean -- two elements which are necessary if the publication was going to be used as a guide/reference in a print room where it may be exposed to damage. 


The next stage of development was to search for design quotes which could be more directly applied to print and print processes. I was mainly looking for specific terms or phrases which I could use as a basis for experimentation.

Below is a scanned image of the key quotes I decided to initially experiment with. After each quote is a brief explanation of how I could achieve this visually. Each quote focuses on different explanations of designs - just as each print process focuses on a different method of production.


I drew out a mind map to begin thinking about how I wanted to break my publication up into various sections. The sections included (in no specific order) 
interaction
process
thought process
transparency
layering
stock
balance
I considered how each of these were relevant to one another and how I could effectively link them together to form my information pack. I liked the idea of creating each section/title as a chapter, following with relevant content. This is when I began to think about using a quote as a chapter/page divider. I would need to consider the most effective quotes in order for this idea to work, but this would give me a broad concept to experiment with. Although it would be an abstract approach to presenting information, I would have the opportunity with showing first hand examples of print processes, as opposed to just writing about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment