Tuesday 9 October 2012

Alphabet Soup

"Produce a set, series or sequence of ten letterforms that explore and communicate your interpretation of the word that you have selected from the randomisers.

Using your newfound appreiciation of the anatomy of typographic forms and the wealth of research that you have already gathered, focus on the manipulation of existing letterforms in order to solve this problem"

I was given the word 'Boom'. 


I began by researching the different definitions and synonyms of the word 'boom' in order to gain inspiration for my main idea.


As I wanted to avoid doing the obvious cartoon-style explosion I decided to focus on the effect of 'booming'. I thought it would be interesting to research into soundwaves and generate a range of letterforms which visually represented soundwaves in a slightly unusual way.



Below is an example of a few my initial sketches. The idea was that the sound waves would be coming out of each letter. This idea was then developed further through consideration of the best way to effectively represent vibration and booming.



No comments:

Post a Comment