Tuesday 9 October 2012

Alphabet Soup Continued...


 


Above are my 10 final outcomes produced from the Alphabet Soup brief. Using the theme of sound waves I decided to present the waves bouncing off one another in a variety of directions. I used Cooper Std as my base typeface because I like the bold impact it has when using capital letters. I originally considered experimenting with the idea of the letters being part of a strory-board of the sound waves passing through the letters in relation to their order in the alphabet. However that idea wasn't as strong once I put it onto paper. I also thought it would be interesting to experiment using acetate instead of tracing paper but again the actual wasn't as good as I'd predicted. Overall I am pleased with my letterforms but my personal favourites are the T, N and E because I feel they convey the idea of vibration most effectively. If I could re-do this task I would reconsider the styles of the H, G and F as I feel they are the weakest outcomes.

On Monday we presented our letters to a group of roughly 15 people from the class. Individually we each shared our 10 letters, explaining which word we were given and the main ideas and reasons for out final ideas. I enjoyed looking at and comparing each others' work as it was really interesting to see how different they were. 

Once we had the collection of letters on the table in front of us we had to choose the five strongest letterforms for each person. These five favourites were then placed on the wall with the rest of the group. My chosen letters were E, H, M, N and T. I think this was a fair decision because they were the most visually engaging. 

The next task was to switch to another group's table where we were faced with their strongest outcomes. From this we were asked to one by one take down letters until the 5 we thought best conveyed their word were the last ones remaining. This exercise was a good way to learn each others similarities and differences of taste. Generally we agreed on what worked well and wasn't as strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment