Sunday 2 March 2014

OUGD503: L-Smith Photography Logo Development


This was a live brief for a client who needed a new logo for his Photography business. During initial discussions, he explained the essential elements he wanted me to include were:

1. Include the name written as: L-Smith as this was how it was going to be written on his website and all of his own photographs.
2. The key colours he wanted me to experiment with were royal blue and orange. 
3. The logo was to be bold and easily readable to work effectively at a range of sizes and scale.

I began with a really simple and clear approach to the logo design. Initially, I focused on different typefaces to give the client a choice of his intended tone of voice. During our type workshop with Graham, we learnt a bit more about the language of type and how it can be used appropriately. This was useful knowledge to bare in mind while concentrating on Liam's identity and his identity as a Photographer. 

These initial logos were created in Illustrator. As I was unable to meet up with the client in person, we agreed to share screenshots of my developments over Facebook. In order to make this process easier for both of us, I numbered each individual logo and asked him to choose his favourite(s). The first two screenshots are shown below:



The 14 logos include some very basic type-only variations, and some with small image elements such as a camera placed around the letter 'I' in 'Smith'. The reason for this was to subtly reference to the dot of the 'i', and also resemble a camera placed on top of a tripod. The circle border variations were based on the circular shape of the camera lens itself - suggesting the main focus of this lens was the Photographer 'L-Smith'.

After some discussion with the Client, he decided logo 10 was his favourite of the 14 initial designs. 


The client was generally pleased with the colours and font (Franchise) shown above. As development, it was suggested to try incorporating aperture blades into the design. 

Using the image below, I began experimenting with a design based on aperture blades. I incorporated the specified colours; orange and blue. I tried a few layouts, and even thought about if this would work as a pattern to overlay onto the logo.



After a few experiments, I began applying the aperture design to the logo to visualise different ways this could work with type. After producing 15 new variations, I sent these to Liam for his feedback.




The feedback from the client was positive. His two favourites this time were logo variations 13 & 14, but the main preference was logo 14 (shown below).

Following on from this, I suggested trying a new range of variations based on logo 14, experimenting with different colours and subtle design elements. These developments are shown below:



After experimenting with a range of colours and layer transparencies, I suggested to the Client that in my personal opinion, the logo worked more effectively in black and white. Although the colours looked visually pleasing, they did not seem necessary and the image began to look less like a shutter blades (and in the case of the orange variations) more like a basketball. I put this suggestion forward to the Client, but made sure he gave me his own honest opinion. 

This was my final design to send to the client with the selection shown above:


His response was "you're definitetly right about the colours and yeah I think the last one you sent is a defiant winner." 

Therefore the design we concluded on was this one:

No comments:

Post a Comment