Monday 12 November 2012

Designing Three Posters in Relation to Our Chosen New Article

Following on from our Message and Delivery research brief we were asked to develop our found information and generate three posters using 3 colours (including stock); 1 text alone, 1 text and image and 1 image alone. For this we were required to complete the plan shown below, followed by 60 thumbnails of initial ideas; 20 per poster.

I decided to keep my idea simple. As the main focus of my news article was about Doreen Lawrence's consistent, strong fight for racial equality I decided to focus on negative use space and working with black and white in the most effective way possible. 

Using images from Pinterest and various other sources I began generating inspiration 

Firsty i began drawing rough sketches and designs for a general theme to combine all three posters. Below are a few examples of the ideas i most preferred and examples of early idea developmentation.



My favourite image alone idea was to create a heart shape using two hands shaking. From this I wanted to experiment with the idea of a black and white hand shaking one another. 

Once I was happy with a final idea I used photoshop to digitally recreate these in a more precise, clear manner. Below is not of my favourite outcomes for my text and image poster. I would have used this as my final outcome but I felt that although it has a sophisticated and simple aesthetic, the message I was intending to convey was not as clear as it could be.

Below is my final image poster. I am happy with this outcome as I feel it is most effective. The image is simple and easily recognisable worldwide. The black and white hands shaking one another symbolises strength, unity, racial equality and love. 

Secondly I focused on my type poster. I wanted to keep the same simple aesthetic as used in the image poster. I decided the best way of doing this would be to use the words Black and White and experiment with negative space. I wasn't sure whether to focus more on legibility or style. This outcome was intended to be somewhere in between the two. Although the text is not instantly recognisable, with a bit of patience the message becomes clearer.

Below is a development from my previous text and image poster. I think this outcome is more effective because by using more black, the letters 'BW' are given a stronger, more justified context, making it easier for the audience.












No comments:

Post a Comment