Tuesday 20 November 2012

Illustrator Typeface

The letter I have chosen to base my Illustrator Alphabet is T:
I intend to create a digitalised alphabet using the same theme, design and context as used above.

Experimenting with circular patterns

I began adding white circles top of the existing black ones to create a more intricate, unusual pattern.

I gradually continued to add more black and white circles to form a unique and interesting pattern, yet still ensuring it was relevant to my original letterform.




Once I was satisfied with the pattern I'd created I began experimenting with letters. As my original typeface was based on 'Cooper Std.' I remained with this throughout the development process. 

I placed each letter individually onto the pattern as shown below. Once I was happy with the position of the letters I created a clipping mask which placed the pattern onto the letter. I then copied the letters onto an A1 sheet where I experimented with different stroke and fill settings to discover which colour and style worked best.

I really liked the design shown below on the letter D. I think it is elegant and unusual, however I decided it was not as appropriate for my typeface as the original pattern was more suitable for the word 'boom'.

I experimented with different gradients as I was curious to see how much more effective the outcomes were. Below are the best examples, however I felt none of these were as bold as black and white alone.
Gradient

Magenta

Cyan

Yellow

After experimenting I decided to remain with the original black and white pattern but add a black outline to all the letters to make them more legible, clear and defined.




Final Alphabet



I am very pleased with my final alphabet. I feel that the patterns within each letter are different enough to represent the concept of soundwaves 'booming' into each other, yet so so different they become inconsistent. The overall alphabet works in different ways from far away and close up but I feel that this  allows for further interpretation and could possibly appeal to a wider audience.



No comments:

Post a Comment