Wednesday 30 January 2013

OUGD405: Software Workshop in Photoshop: Postcards

Brief:
Produce a set of five postcards that explore your given shape:
Circle/square/triangle/cross 
Using your shape as the theme photograph areas of the college to base your manipulations in Photoshop upon.
Try to be creative and watch the Channel 4 idents as part of your research. Research what contexts the format of postcards can be used in and how this can influence your design.
Background / Considerations
Not all your investigations should take place on the Mac. Digital image capture methods such as scanning and digital photography allow you to import media from a range of sources (photographs, photocopies, drawings, tracings, found material etc.)
Once you have imported this material how can you manipulate using the tools and capabilities of Photoshop (cropping, selecting, layering, repeating, colour changes, reversing out etc.)
After experimenting with different images and layers I decided to work with the image of the back of a chair in the Graphic Design studio. Below are a few of my initial experiments in Photoshop:






From the image above I thought about different contexts which could be applied to my postcards. In order to ensure they worked as a set I wanted to use a strong, consistent idea. Through experimentation with applying colour I thought the image started to resemble a paint pallet. From this I worked with different colour experiments. Finally I decided to base my postcards on Itten's colour contrast theories:

I worked with two main layers throughout my postcards: the original, manipulated image and the the new, colour layer. I then converted all the colour layers into 'lighten' mode to make the layers more transparent:

Initial colour layering:

Red alone - before desaturating

Simultaneous Contrast

Contrast of Temperature

Contrast of Saturation

Contrast of Extension

Extension Development

Final Contrast of Extension



No comments:

Post a Comment