Thursday 17 January 2013

OUGD405: Research, Collect, Communicate: PRODUCT

 From collecting a wide range of research I originally came up with the idea to create a short publication celebrating the history of previous guests at the Chelsea Hotel. As the hotel is currently shut down due to change in management and economical issues I wanted to base my theme around the re-opening of the hotel. My initial title for the publication was 'Inside Hotel Chelsea'. The concept was that the target audience - new tourists/artists/musicians would open up the publication to learn a bit more about life inside the Chelsea.

These are a few of my initial design sheets. I contemplated looking at existing hotel packaging for inspiration on aesthetics within information packs and similar epherma. 

I began thinking about how I wanted to arrange my publication. Below is one idea where I thought about using the front of the hotel as the main image inside the publication, using each window as a flap to reveal particular residents and information about them. Another idea was to lay each page out as an individual guest's story/experience. The publication would be structured chonologically in terms of dates of each event. 

As the hotel is referred to as both 'The Chelsea Hotel' and 'Hotel Chelsea' I experimented with both when deciding on a title for the publication. I wanted to use either 'Inside the Chelsea Hotel' or 'Inside Hotel Chelsea'. 


Once I chose my favourite of the two titles - 'Inside Hotel Chelsea', I began doing sketches of potential typefaces. I also gathered a few examples of inspiration from dafont shown below.


Font 1: Sex Pistols

Font 2: Cheatin'

Font 3: Anonymous Clippings

Font 4: Absudans

Font 5: Random House 

Font 6: Fabienestem

Font 7: Subtext


The main hotel hotel residents I decided to focus my publication on were:

Leonard Cohen & Janis Joplin
Bob Dylan
Dylan Thomas
Sid Vicious & Nancy Spungen
Andy Warhol & Edie Sedgwick
Arthur Williams

I began by drawing my own illustrations of each icon. Below are the initial sketches:

Janis&Leonard


Dylan Thomas


Sid Vicious

Arthur Miller
Image Source

Nancy Spungen
Image Source

Marilyn Monroe (divorce with Arthur Miller)

Although these were initially rough sketches, I liked the way they shared a similar rugged style, similar to the guests themselves. Therefore I decided to keep these images and experiment with ways in which I could effectively use them to generate a consistent set of info graphics.













After the feedback session on thursday with Amber and Simon, I decided to approach the brief in a new manner. As the publication was not as visually engaging and informative as I had hoped, I thought it would be best to simplify my outcome and focus more on the content, layout and concept. As my main collection of information was based on dates I decided to create a timeline.

I gathered all of my information together and organised it into the correct order of the key events concerning my chosen residents between the opening and closing of the hotel.



Here are the screenshots documenting the development of my final timeline:











No comments:

Post a Comment